.260 Remington McQueens Build

Well I've finally run in and got my new rifle shooting as required for the forthcomming Pheonix weekend.

Specs:

Surgeon 591 Short Action BDL Style Repeater
Surgeon Sniper Bolt Knob
Bartlein 5R, 6.5mm, 1 in 8 twist Stainless Steel Barrel, ACRC Durabake Finnish, Chambered in .260 Remington, finished to 26"
ACRC Muzzle Break
Ase Utra jet-Z™ COMPACT Moderator
AICS Stage 2.0 MoD Flat Dark Earth Stock
CG X-Treme Mod 22 2-stage Trigger
AI Hand Stop
AI Adjustable Target Butt Pad
Accu-shot BT08QK (Quick Knob) Rear Monopod
Rigby AI Bipod

The pictures show the scope is mounted with a LaRue Tactical SPR-E base as it was being used on two rifles when the photos were taken, it now sports some Third Eye Tactical Rings.

Workmanship is excellent, the trigger is as good as the Anschutz unit on my T2k, the muzzle brake works very effectively as the bore is matched to the calibre. The rifle is quite heavy but is primarily designed for prone shooting. Having experimented with the Rigby Bipod over a couple of shooting sessions and, initially, having some doubts about bipod vibration and the effect on target I am now pleased to report that it does the job very well.

Initial load testing results

Decided on using N160 as I have several tubs and started at 38.0 grains working up with a CCI BR-2 underneath and a 139 grain Scenar on top set 0.010” off the lands.

The Lapua Data sheet download gives a maximum N160 load with the Scenar at 40.6 grains giving 2529 fps out of an 18 3/4” barrel with a 1 in 9” twist. My barrel is finished at 26” so I suspect the velocity to be higher (it was at 40.5 grains I was getting 2623 fps).

The plan was to shoot over a chronograph as the charge weigh incremented up, I had started to load batches of ten rounds in each increment but at 39.2 grains started to load just 5 rounds in each step.

_Charge____Av fps____ES______SD______Group Size (Centre to Centre)
…38.0……....2441…..…22…......…6……....…..0.466”
…38.4…...….2476……..26…......…7……....…..0.655”
…38.6…...….2494…..…44….....…13……...…..0.945”
…38.8…...….2523…..…30…….....11…....…….0.489”
…39.0…...….2528…..…14….....…4…….......…0.562” (10 shot group)
…39.2…...….2539……..11….....…4……..........0.81 3”
…39.4…...….2561……..17….....…7……......….0.294”
…39.7…...….2575…..…14….....…6…….......…0.321”
…39.9…...….2581…..…18…….....7……......….0.703”
…40.1……....2603…..…24…….....7……......….0.710”
…40.3…...….2608…..…43…....…17…......……0.698”
…40.5…...….2623…..…18….... …5…….......….0.580”
…40.7…...….2636…..…10….... …4…….......….0.476”
…40.9…...….2654…..…20….... …7…….......….0.778”
…41.1…...….2669…..…18….... …7…….......….0.520”

I was a little disappointed with the ES on each charge increment as I had trickled each one up, more care and cross checking with the Mxx123 next time.

Initial groups

The groups, all shot at 100 metres were not spectacular (probably my bench technique which I’m sure could be improved upon and there was one hell of a mirage from my barrel the day; hot and sunny and no wind in the covered firing point. I also know that I pulled to odd shot but I have given the whole picture below and not edited any shots) the best at 0.294” and next at 0.321 followed each other so there may be a sweet spot at around 2570 fps.

What I was impressed with was the 0.562” 10 Shot group at 2528 fps.

For what I want to use the rifle for groups around ½ MOA will be more than acceptable.

Looking at the cases fired at 41.1 grains there is an ever so slight ejector button mark so I don’t think I can go much higher with the N160 but will chance maybe another 0.2 grains on the now once fired cases.

Having now done some more testing and working with fireformed brass i have honed in on a load that is consistently shooting from 0.264" to 0.305" with N160 and 139 grain Scenars. I did not get a chance to chronograph my latest load but will do that next week. There are no pressure signs on the once fired brass and I have managed to increase the charge to 42.5 grains. What I did notice was that the groups shrank when using once fired brass compared to new, I suspect that the ES will also reduce.

And a mod makes it even nicer

Shooting with a moderator for the first time I was very surprised at the different recoil characteristics; there was more rearward recoil when compared to using the muzzle brake. I am though going to shoot with the moderator at the Phoenix providing I can get a moderator cover in time to reduce the heat haze.

Finally, thanks to the chap who built it

Gavin is a true gent to deal with, he was able to quickly turn around my order with components he had in stock and offered sound practical advice based on user experience. I would be more than happy to highly recommend Anglo Custom Rifle Company.

Author John